Weekly Report  

Posted in

I'm not so sure I can even remember what S. accomplished.

Where is my coffee???

Bible: Explorer's Study Bible chapter 19. The Israelites are COMPLAINING about their food. Funny, so are my kids. Do I sense a heart issue here? The fact that God sent quail and struck it with plague while it was in their mouths produced quite a reaction from S.

Math U See: Lesson 19 also. She is skip counting by 8's now. As we have gone along she is having a harder and harder time remembering her facts. It's just not sticking like I thought it would. We spend our extra time this week reviewing 3 and 9 facts with flashcards and online drill. I want her to know them like the back of her hand. She also is having a really hard time with word problems. I was really patient this week and didn't fret about her not "getting" it. She will. My husband assures me that he was EXACTLY the same and that give me hope because he is an incredibly smart and articulate guy.

Grammar: Unit 4, chapter 4.....We are totally on schedule!! Yeah!! This week we did some learning about dictionaries and looking up words. The book had her write out different definitions, but we are using the Websters collage dictionary and I think it's too hard for her. I need to get a childrens one. We also talked about using variety and interesting words in paragraphs.

Spelling: Spelling Workout lesson 22. The double OO this week. One of the exercises was "Head is to hat as building is to....." She really had trouble understand what this was all about. She got it later when, at gymnastics, an example was given using two girls on her team. One acts like a turtle, so they call her turtle and another girl always presents to the judges with fish lips (don't ask me why.) So I asked S., "H. is to turtle as O. is to......." and she said, "a fish?" RIGHT! She understood. She aced her test on Friday.

Prima Latina: Lesson 16 is about constellations. We aren't being too thorough with Latin so she isn't exactly retaining all the vocabulary. But, we are plugging through 3 days a week. Learned the first line of the Pater Noster this week.

Science: We experimented with heating a penny. Adventures with atoms and molecules book one, experiments 26 and 29. We were looking at the idea that oxygen molecules can combine with other molecules to cause change. Next week I'm going to really try to have our experiment material beforehand!

History: We read The Story of the World, Volume 3, chapter 26....but also read Joan of Arc by Diane Stanley. It sparked lots of discussion about the Inquisition and the relationship God wants with us. (not a set of rules to be followed, but a daily personal encounter with Him.)
I meant to read Chapter 27....but somehow just realized that we skipped it. Oops. We arn't doing many quesitons, map work or narrations. I'm not really sure why it dropped off.

Gymnastics: Good week...she was listening better but is still having touble correcting her pike on vault. Even the coaches aren't telling her why. I think that she is landing flat footed on the springboard and technichally relying on the board for her rebound. Therefore she doesn't get enough power behind her. She needs to give it some help and spring off her toes as the springboard does its job. Floor is looking good--her back handsprings are improving--straighter legs. She has a meet this weekend and the Flyers Cup in two weeks.

Piano: She worked hard preparing for a piano recital this week. For some reason she kept making mistakes, losing her place and wasn't able to read notes. It really shook her and she was very nervous at the recital. But, if you watch the video, you'll see she did just fine. Her teacher told her that all the students younger than her and some of the older ones were not ready for the recital, therefore they weren't able to participate. S. played with a girl about 12 and all the others were in their teens or adults. Quite an accomplishment for a girl of 8 years.



I don't think we are doing much writing. I just don't know how to fit everything in with her. I have her do reading everyday, but this week I'm really pushing her to finish The Winter of Red Snow. She said it was interesting for a while but has become boring. I guess it's just that "mid winter" homeschool slump. It always happens...we'll get out of it. Better luck next week!!

This entry was posted on Monday, March 02, 2009 at Monday, March 02, 2009 and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

0 comments

Post a Comment