Weekly Report  

Posted in

From the Tower of Terror to bananas in a box, this has been a pretty good week.

If the beginning of the week had carried over, we would have been toast.

Some time ago, we had decided to start school an hour later (9am) so that dd could get a little more sleep. This seemed to work for a few weeks but then I began to notice that there were a lot of little things that were not getting done, even though we had the time AND I felt like I was following my "list." We actually fell behind. And I'm a schedule kinda gal.

So this week we are back to getting up and starting an hour earlier. Dd doesn't like the getting up part. Who does?

Monday happened to be a snow day here. DS was home from school but I still managed to get some work done with DD. And although we started on time and worked normally through the morning....by 1pm I found that we still had not completed what we should have. And she was spacy. SNOW DAY.

Tuesday we started the "we are going back to the hour earlier" routine. It made the difference. And by Thursday, though she still doesn't like to get up, she was seeing the difference in her work and it made us both happy.

She had nice handwriting in her Bible study where we learned that even God put a limit on what He would tolerate.
Math went swimmingly...with dd doing lots of online drill at the MathUSee site. She was working on multiplication of 8's, 9's, and 3's. I think that we can move on now.

Spelling caused her eyes to well up on Monday. She didn't want to read the lesson. We are on lesson 23.

In grammar we are moving on to proofreading. I feel that we are entering a new place with grammar and writing. It makes me nervous. I am not a great writer, nor am I great at teaching it. So now that S. is getting older and I am requiring a bit more out of her narrations, reports, etc...I am really trying to pay more attention to the writing aspect of her work than I did with DS. Hind sight is 20/20.

Speaking of writing, not only did we accomplish getting up earlier this week, but S. finished The Winter of Red Snow...and began a book report. For some reason, it's very hard for me to help her with book reports. I may be expecting too much, or she doesn't understand that a narration and a book report are really the same thing. But, she didn't get too discouraged and she has done a good job. AND finally she is starting a new book, Island by Gordon Korman.It's different from what she is used to reading and that seems to be throwing her off a little, but she'll get it.

History was productive also. We did Chapter 27 of SOTW and even had time to play a game related to it.

Prima Latina chapters 16 and 17 sparked much discussion about contellations. We listened to the audio CD and although they pronounced the words in Latin, I just had her say the constellations in English. She doesn't know them and I wanted her to learn them in English first.

We are almost finished with the first Adventures With Atoms and Molecules book. We were able to get a science experiment in this week. Of course, I forgot to get the tomato so I will pick that up later today so we can do a proper observation. But at least we got the banana in the box. Hooray for us!
We are onto new music in piano this week. She needs to work on mastery of her notes. I am really trying to focus on that.

And in gymnastics....she has meets the next two weekends and they haven't practiced their floor routine in weeks! I don't know why, but she has been making mistakes and I wish she was getting the chance to practice it correctly!

Since we have been more on schedule, we were able to read many chapters in By the Shores of Silver Lake, dance around the living room, experiment with gymnastics hairstyles, and she finally met her red pencil. Oh the joys.

Oh and she made her toast look like an elf shoe. That is what homeschooling is all about.

This entry was posted on Friday, March 06, 2009 at Friday, March 06, 2009 and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

4 comments

What a great week! Loved the pictures.
Lori

9:44 AM

ROFL! Love the elf shoe comment.

I have a question about the Dear America books. Are they aimed at girls specifically? I see there are so many of them that would go great with our history studies, but my son would not be too happy with a girl book. Somewhere along the line I got the impression that that's what they are, but maybe I'm confusing them with the American Girl series. ??

Julia
www.greensummervillian.wordpress.com

12:52 PM
Anonymous  

Love the toast!! My son loves to point out geographical shapes in food. He's pretty accurate too, it's scary!

I have the Winter of Red Snow book, my parents bought it because I share a name with the author, and I rarely run into it anywhere else. I still need to read it though, maybe next year when we get to the Revolution.

I enjoyed reading about your week and can sympathize with the tower of terror, we have our own here. :)

1:58 PM

Julia, the Dear America series is about young girls but there is a boy's version called My Name is America that tells stories of young boys. From what I understand, some of the historical details may be incorrect, but I think there are far worse things they could be reading.

9:48 AM

Post a Comment