The Weekly Report 3/27  

Posted in


What a week! I am emotionally tapped, physically worn out and mentally dead.

My brain didn't work well this week and we just couldn't finish everything I had planned.

We did chapter 23 in The Explorers Bible, which means that we are on schedule there. Half of it we did orally. I just didn't have the patience for writing.

Spelling got a little behind--we just skipped a test. No biggie...I'll quiz her on the words later. But one of the exercises was really tough. The one where you have dictionary guide words and you have to decide which spellings word would be on that dictionary page. She couldn't do it. So I had her alphabetize ALL the spelling words. Then I will have her go back to that exercise.

Grammar is behind. We are writing descriptions, page 252 in Rod and Staff 3, and she just can do it in one day. Or two. And since writing is not my strong point I have trouble knowing what I should expect out of her. We are about 3 days behind on that. I don't want to do Grammar this summer but I also don't want her to get frustrated with writing.

Math was tough too!!!! We have moved MUS lesson 23 -- double digit multiplying, which she can already do, but we are taking it slow in order to understand the concepts of WHY you multiply it that way. It's just going really slow and she is coming to an understanding of it....I'm being patient....slow and steady wins the race....

We did Prima Latina a couple time this week, working on lesson 18. At least we got to it.

Most days this week were just filled with frustration, school related and not. On Monday I don't think we did any history or science OR Latin. But Tuesday we shoved history and science into the same day. She also hasn't really practiced piano all week. That is unusual.

But on the bright side, we actually did science this week -- both experiments. We started on the second Adventures with Atoms and Molecules book. The first experiment was on Monday...involving balloons and static. Now what we learned was that when we rubbed the balloon against my very static-filled sweater is that it stuck to everything because of the transfer of electrons and becoming negetively charged (or something like that) BUT since the other balloon was also negatively charged, they should have repelled eachother. They didn't. We did the experiment again to no avail. The balloons still hung side by side. What went wrong? We don't know.

The other experiment involved air, weight, a yardstick and a newspaper. She was afraid to break the yardstick. When we finished, she was so excited because she made the logical connections to explain what happened in the experiment. I documented it for posterity.



In history this week we read about the Maya, Aztec and Inca. We made wonderful hot chocolate from a lindt 99% cocoa bar. The recipe was from Story of the World and included cinnamon and honey.
We sat down to enjoy a mug-full. S wasn't so sure at first but then said that even though it wasn't very sweet, it was really good! Like sitting down to enjoy a hot cup of tea! I agreed!

We thought that this picture looked like an ancient Mayan drawing. Teehee.

She also discovered that she could blow bubbles through the cinnamon stick.And then, to top it all off, the basement flooded on Friday night. I think it was just my houses' way of living out what had already happened to my mind.

Better luck next week!

This entry was posted on Thursday, March 26, 2009 at Thursday, March 26, 2009 and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

4 comments

I enjoyed reading your report. Love the pictures! Sorry about the basement!

Amy

8:57 AM

That hot chocolate looks delicious.

11:08 AM

I have weeks like this too! When I'm so mentally exhausted I can't do anything. I hope next week looks up for you. :)

That hot chocolate looks so yummy!

2:14 PM

Love the experiment photos, such enthusiasm!

4:51 AM

Post a Comment